St. Marnock’s Numeracy School Improvement Plan (2014-2015)
- The results of Standardised Tests
- Teacher observations
- Pupil survey
Summary of main areas requiring improvements
- Strand: Number
- Strand Units: Infants: Combining, Partitioning and Numeration
- Strand Units: 1st & 2nd Class: Subtraction and Fractions
- Strand Units: 3rd & 4th Class: Division and Fractions
- Strand Units: 5th & 6th Class: Decimals, Fractions and Percentages
- To maintain and/or increase the percentage of pupils scoring in the above average sector in Sigma T Standardised Tests by reducing the percentage of pupils who score in the average range.
- To maintain and/or increase the percentage of pupils who admit to liking Maths in middle and senior classes.
- Learning Support Teacher/s to assist mainstream teachers with in-class Maths group work in year 1.
- Junior Infants: More hands-on activities
- Senior Infants: More focus on number sentences, conservation of number and partitioning
- 1st Class: Mental Maths in every lesson – orally for 5/7 minutes
- 2nd Class: Introducing renaming in addition and subtraction earlier in the year and revisiting regularly
- 3rd & 4th Class: At least one lesson per week using concrete materials to reinforce the concepts of the topic
- 5th & 6th Class: Organise ability groups within class
Success Criteria / Measurable Outcomes
- The results of Sigma T Standardised Tests. In order to achieve a valid comparison the same cohort of pupils should be involved in the comparison.
- g. the results of pupils in 2nd class should be compared to the results of those pupils who also completed the Sigma T test in 1st class the previous year.
- Teacher observation
- Pupil responses to survey
- Checklists in Infant classes
- Class teachers
- Learning Support Teachers
Timeframe for Actions
- September 2013 to June 2016
Monitor and Review
- Progress on achieving targets will be reviewed at the end of each year.
- Based on the outcome of the review other strand units in Number may be prioritised for improvement