- Homework strengthens the partnership between parents, teachers and children, helps children to develop independent study habits and enables parents to become actively involved in their children’s education
- To ensure consistent approaches to the setting of homework across the school and to avoid homework overload.
- To encourage parents to take an interest in and share responsibility for their children’s work
- To give children the opportunity to memorise and further study areas already taught in school.
- Homework acts as a form of communication between school and home.
- It allows teachers and parents/guardians see how a child is progressing in different areas.
- It helps to develop the child’s self-discipline and become an independent learner.
- It is helpful to revise or reinforce work done in school.
- It may be used to finish work that was begun in school
Pupils have responsibility to ensure :
- That they take home the relevant books and copies.
- That homework is entered accurately in homework diary.
- That tasks are completed to the best of their ability.
Suggested Role of Parents:
- Encourage a positive attitude towards homework from an early age.
- Encourage the child to undertake his/her homework independently.
- To decide on a suitable time for doing homework, taking into account age, the need for playtime, relaxation and family time.
- To provide a quiet place, suitable work surface, free from distractions.
- To sign the homework notebook having checked that the assigned work has been completed and to alert the teacher if a child is experiencing difficulty with homework.
Suggested Time To Complete Homework Assignments:
- Junior Infants – Up to 10 minutes
- Senior Infants – Up to 20 minutes
- 1st Class – Up to 30 minutes
- 2nd Class – Up to 30 minutes
- 3rd Class – Up to 45 minutes
- 4th Class – Up to 45 minutes
- 5th Class – Up to 1 hour
- 6th Class – Up to 1 hour
- As a general rule homework is not given on Fridays
You can add up to 10 elements, position them left or right, change vertical position, change icon img, background color and more...
myStickyElements is simple yet very effective plugin. It is perfect to fill out usually unused side space on webpages with some additional messages, videos, social widgets ...
more about plugin