Healthy Eating Policy
Healthy Eating Policy
We are increasingly reminded by the media of the rising levels of obesity in children and of the health problems associated with improper diet. Dietitians, dentists, parents and teachers are concerned at this emerging trend and are conscious of the need to take preventive action to reduce the risk of serious health problems developing in later life. In the school context the traditional packed lunch is under increasing attack from convenience foods viz. snack-bars, soft drinks and junk foods.
Lunch is an important meal for children. It should provide one third of their recommended daily nutritional needs. The consumption of foods with a high sugar content provides a quick surge of energy and can adversely effect children’s concentration and in extreme cases give rise to hyperactivity and challenging behaviour. The school will encourage children to make healthy eating choices and discourage the consumption of junk food.
Through promoting a healthy eating policy in school we aim:
- To improve the general health and well-being of pupils by encouraging healthy eating patterns
- To affirm and support children and parents who make healthy eating choices
- To lay the foundation for good health and well-being in later life
- To explain the correlation between a healthy diet and good health
- To raise levels of concentration within class
- To encourage children to be aware, alert and responsive to litter problems caused by junk food, pre-prepared food, drink cartons etc.
Please note that:
- Chewing gum, crisps and fizzy drinks are not allowed at any time.
- For safety reasons drinks in glass containers are not allowed.
- Lunch left-overs, wrappings and empty cartons are taken home to let parents know the extent to which lunches are being consumed and to reduce the amount of litter which the school has to manage.
- Parents may include a small treat, selected from the top tier of the food pyramid, in the lunch box on Fridays, end-of term parties and school trips.
Junior & Senior Classes: 10.30a.m. to 10.45a.m.
Junior Classes: 12.10p.m. to 12.30p.m.
Senior Classes: 12..40p.m. – 1.00p.m.