Fáilte go Blog Scoil Naomh Mearnóg

The blogsite of St. Marnock's National School

Category: Religious Activities (page 1 of 4)

School Mission Team Visits the School

The School Mission Team is visiting the school this week. 

They have had lots of activities about the Catholic religion organised for all the boys and girls.

The children have been singing songs about Jesus Christ and the love of God. They have been listening to stories and watching puppet shows about God and his word during the morning assemblies.

The Mission Team then visits the classrooms during the afternoon for more song singing and stories.

IMG_8002 IMG_8005 IMG_8007 IMG_8011 IMG_8032

First Holy Communion 2013

 

Congratulations to the boys and girls in Ms Phillip’s and Ms McElhone’s classes who received their First Holy Communion in St. Anne’s Church, Portmarnock, on Saturday 11th  May. Thanks to Fr. McDermott who was assisted by Fr. Crean Lynch for celebrating the Mass. Thanks also to the children who sang in the choir and to Ms Murphy, Ms O’Sullivan, Mr Maughan and Mr Keaveny for providing musical accompaniment. Parents, children and guests appreciated the refreshments served by St. Marnock’s Parents Association in the parish centre afterwards.

Confirmation Celebrations

Congratulations to the boys and girls in our 6th classes who received the sacrament of Confirmation on Friday 12th April. Thanks to Fr. Kieran McDermott who administered the sacrament, to their teachers Ms Madden and Mr Scallan and to  Sr. Noreen, Fr. Murphy and parents for preparing the children and for ensuring that everything went according to plan. Thanks to the pupils in our 4th and 5th classes choir who sang beautifully and to Ms Murphy, Ms O’Sullivan, Mr Maughan and Mr Keaveny who accompanied and conducted them. Everyone appreciated the refreshments which our Parents’ Association served in the Parish Centre after the ceremony and a most enjoyable day was had by all.

Christmas Concert Performances 2012

Once again the staff of St. Marnock’s School was pleased to be able to follow a long tradition of giving every pupil an opportunity to perform in our Christmas concerts which were staged on 19th and 20th December.

Mr Keaveny congratulated all the pupils and thanked their teachers for preparing them and for taking full advantage of the seasonal themes and musical riches which the Christmas story provides.

The extensive programme which included seasonal songs, carols, nativity musical and morality play was loudly applauded by appreciative audiences.

To satisfy popular demand two separate performances were staged on consecutive days. In this way pupils were able to enjoy and support the performances of siblings and colleagues from other classes while parents, grandparents and friends could also be accommodated.

The school hall was wonderfully decorated with colourful artwork depicting familiar Christmas scenes.

Seasonal refreshments which were served in the school library during concert intervals by St. Marnock’s Parents’ Association were greatly appreciated by the many visiting parents and grandparents who attended on both days.

 

Eucharistic Congress Pilgrim Walk

St. Mary of the Angels Church, Church Street

The Augustinian Church, Thomas Street

 Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Whitefriar Street

 St. Mary’s Pro Cathedral, Marlborough Street

  

The Seven Sacraments and Fourteen Stations of the Cross stained glass windows in St. Michan’s church.

On Thursday 14th June twelve adventurous sixth class pupils comprising M. Moore, A. Crean Lynch, E. Kelly, A. Dalton, J. Whelan, C. McCarthy, C. Lawson Gallagher, O. Curtis Davis, S. Connolly, A. Fidgeon, C. Gregan and D. O’Boyle accompanied Ms Connor and Mr Keaveny on the Pilgrim Walk organised in conjunction with the International Eucharistic Congress. The walk entailed visiting seven churches located within easy distance of the city centre, St. Michan’s, Halston Street, St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, St. James’s, James Street, The Augustinian Church, Thomas Street, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Whitefriar Street, St. Ann’s, Dawson Street and the St. Mary’s Pro Cathedral, Marlborough Street. We boarded the city-bound bus outside the school at 9.10am and reached our destination at 9.50am. Our first port of call was the GPO where we looked at the bronze statue of Cuchulainn, then on to Moore Street where we observed a small plaque on a semi-derelict shop front marking the place where the 1916 leaders surrendered. We then headed for St. Michan’s church beside the Fruit Market on the first leg of our walk. We arrived as 10a..m. Mass was coming to a close. The celebrant welcomed us and invited us to identify ourselves. We received our Pilgrim Walk passports and had them stamped. We were greatly impressed by the large stained glass windows which were decorated in vibrant colours.The sacristan described them as “teaching windows”. In days gone by they were used as educational aids to teach the Stations of the Cross and the Seven Sacraments. Next stop was St. Mary of the Angels in Church Street. Having stamped our passports we took time to examine the exceptionally high ceiling and marvel at the intricate design of the original altar that was preserved behind the modern version. As we walked past the Jameson Distillery Visitors’ Centre we were reminded of the ancestors of that same family who were the original patrons of St. Marnock’s School when it was established in 1868. We crossed the Liffey via the James Joyce bridge and attacked the steep incline which leads up to James’s Street. The whiff of the Guinness brewery lingered in the air causing some children to pinch their noses. We arrived at St. James’s church and noted the head of Daniel O’Connell carved in stone and wearing a crown supporting the arch over the entrance door. It transpired that he laid the foundation stone for the church. The crown symbolised the title of “uncrowned king of Ireland” ascribed to him for his brilliant parliamentary debating skills and his unrivalled success at a defence lawyer in the courts. We also learned of the connection between St. James’s church and the 1916 leaders who were executed in Kilmainham Jail just a short distance down the road. Priests from St. James’s church ministered to the condemned leaders before they faced the firing squads and a priest from St. James’ married Joseph Mary Plunkett and Grace Gifford in the prison before he faced his executioners. It was now time for a food break on the steps of the church where we could observe fellow pilgrims come and go. Having restored our energy levels we proceeded to the Augustinian church in Thomas Street with the Guinness brewery occupying the streetscape on either side. We queued in the foyer to have our passports stamped before entering the church proper which was very spacious and wonderfully adorned with marble columns and stained glass windows. After a brief sojourn we crossed the road and walked down Francis Street which is noted for antique shops, crossed Patrick Street and skirted the grounds of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. In no time Our Lady of Mount Carmel church in Whitefriar Street came into view and St. Stephen’s Green was but a short distance away. A service catering for a large congregation was in progress so we didn’t delay. A quick glance at our watches told us that our planned picnic in St. Stephen’s Green would have to be put on the long finger as we could not afford to miss our bus home. We briskly made our way round the Green to St. Ann’s church in Dawson Street before passing through Trinity College’s inner courtyards enroute to the seventh and final church on our list. We entered the Pro Cathedral which has acted as the mother church of the Dublin Catholic Archdiocese since the time of St. Laurence O’Toole at 1p.m., collected our Pilgrim Walk Certificates, recited the Congress prayer and reflected on our accomplishment. Three hours after our expedition commenced we posed for a final photograph on the steps of the cathedral before paying a brief visit to purchase some well-earned treats in the conveniently located pound shop in North Earl Street. With minutes to spare we reached our bus stop in Abbey Street opposite the Abbey Theatre and within forty five minutes were back in the school feeling tired but pleased with our achievement.

I See His Blood Upon the Rose                      by Joseph Mary Plunkett (1887-1916) 

I see his blood upon the rose

And in the stars the glory of His eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.

I see his face in every flower;

The thunder and the singing of the birds
Are but His voice — and carven by His power
Rocks are His written words. 

All pathways by His feet are worn,

His strong heart stirs the ever-beating sea,
His crown of thorns is twined with every thorn,
His cross is every tree.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Older posts
You can add up to 10 elements, position them left or right, change vertical position, change icon img, background color and more...
myStickyElements is simple yet very effective plugin. It is perfect to fill out usually unused side space on webpages with some additional messages, videos, social widgets ... more about plugin